Monday, April 5, 2010

AMAZING WEEKEND !!!

I (we) recently had the opportunity to travel to The Toronto area for celebrity cake classes at FlourConfections. The award winning Food Network star Mike McCarey of Mike’s Amazing Cakes, was the celeb of the day (2 days + really)

Now I didn’t make this journey alone. I have been conversing with another local cake maker/teacher over the internet but we made plans together without having really met each other face to face and off we went on our trek to the “Big Smoke”

On arrival my roomy Lorrie was keeping updates on her FB for her hubby and others too follow.

Me I was wired for sound with the impending excitement!!!

First order was to scope out the room. Me being the germ-a-phoebe that I am. Lysol wipes the entire room. Next is check the sleeping arrangements. As I peel back the bedding it becomes apparent that the sheets were NOT changed EWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!
A little chat with the front desk and a clean set of sheets later. (I did not expect to have to change my own sheets in a Hotel!!!!)

So out to dinner we went. All is as it usually is. I no sooner tell my new roomy that I seem to be a magnet for restaurant screw ups and the waitress returns to tell me what I asked for in not available. We laugh!!! Another item is forgotten by the waitress before our meal ends, but I have become so accustomed to these things it's now like water off a ducks back for me…. But it is still funny when you wait for it to happen.

We then make a pit stop at the LCBO for a 4 pack of Margarita Ice. I brought some homemade salsa to enjoy and a Marg goes awesome with it!!! Unfortunately there was none on the shelf. But hey the sign in the window say’s “Next closest store 705 Kingston Rd E.” Well that sign is just a cruel joke! We pump it into the GPS and arrive at….. a laneway to an empty field, no building at all, hmmmmmm (insert much more laughter here). It is not looking good for acquiring any Margs here !!! LOL So off to the next LCBO only to find they don’t have any either. Now you would think in a major metropolis like the greater Toronto area it would not be so difficult to find a decent Marg! Alas I must decide not to drive all over hells half acre and just settle for a bad substitute. LCBO you disappoint me!

Back to the room for a nightcap and a not so good nights sleep (far too much excitement rattling around in my head waiting for class). Morning arrives and when we open the curtains ACCKKK!!!


Oh Please No!!! Don’t let this be true! Right outside our window is 2 Orkin trucks. Man could it get any worse? Hopefully it is NOT what we think it is??? A closer look reveals…..

an entire fleet…….. just here for a meeting. But man my heart started to race there for a minute!!! HA HA HA

Mr. McCarey my brain is full, may I be excused?

Okay so now for the good stuff. Being in the same room with your idol is just…..OMG I’m lost for words…… This turned out to be the most fun class I have ever taken, anywhere at any time (yes that includes HVAC classes and being the only girl!!) Seriously how can spending 2 days in a class that smells like chocolate, tastes like chocolate and is all about chocolate NOT be fun??? Especially when it is being taught by none other than Mike McCarey,

The Encyclopedia Britannica of chocolate modeling.

His assistant (also named Mike) is full of energy and eager to help in anyway possible and absolutely hilarious to watch. I laughed so hard through this class my abs hurt!

A lot of technical stuff was touched on and if you listened closely all the time there was a constant barrage of info coming at you. I’m not sure chocolate will be my forte (my hands are very warm) but it certainly will come in handy with a few projects coming up this summer.

I really can’t thank Mike enough for sharing the way he did. Seeing some of his work close up and getting full explanations of how some intricate details were done, was just the bestest EVER!!! There really is nothing like learning from a master!!!

Here is one of the elements of the class. All apart and waiting for a little magic to happen.


Here it is in its completed form….


I met some great people at this class. I had an awesome time with my roomy! It was nice to see old friends. Thanks Lisa, Scott & Karey. Hope to do this again sometime.
Watch for all this new found information in future cakes!!!

No comments: